Mesmerized by beauty

This will be my last post about Beulie's puppyhood. It has been helpful for me to recall our time together and recognize the richness of all she gave us. Beulie smiles a lot; who can resist a dog who smiles?



I keep remembering the good times, like Beulie's early romps with protective Brix...



or an exhuberant Beulie, tired at last...




and the first shopping trips before I trusted her enough to prance along beside me in stores...



I remember the drizzly day that Heather and I spent in the San Francisco zoo and Beulie proved she had no fear of the wild and no prey drive....



...for bears


...for elephants

...or even for tigers. Brave, brave Beulie!

Whether it was taking Beulie to a local park....



or to Spreckels Lake in Golden Gate Park...


Beulie proved to be an enthusiastic traveler interested in just about everything.

But what kept me so tied to Beulie was her sheer beauty. To me, Beulie was the most attractive dog we'd ever had. Gorgeous as a puppy and simply stunning as she grew, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her!





With scissors and paste I pondered how much it meant to me to have dogs in my life.



But what I really wanted was to learn how to draw her. I showed you my early journal pages of Beulie -- before I could even follow her contour -- but enthralled as I was I drew some more. I didn't care how poor my work was, I was so driven to learn. Most frequently I drew Beulie in church when she was asleep right in front of my eyes. I practiced and practiced.















I kept finding different aspects to focus on.... her rounded shape when sleeping...



her bright brown eyes and relaxed, crossed paws.....



and gradually improved.


This was the last drawing I made of Beulie. The date is wrong -- it was really Sunday, August 3rd -- but it's definitely Beulie once again at my feet. More than anything, I will miss that, drawing and redrawing Beautiful Beulie.


THE END

7 comments:

Luba said...

What a great story, well told also!

Barbara said...

Thank you so much for looking! It was highly therapeutic for me to write it. - Barbara

Kara and Jen said...

What a beautiful story; thank you so much for sharing!!! I think we enjoyed reading it as much as you enjoyed writing it!

Kara & Jen

Timaree said...

This is a terrific and heartbreaking story about a well-loved dog. And you are so right "home is where the dog is"!

Thida said...

Thanks so much for sharing your love for Beulie!

Kathleen said...

There is no better love than the unconditional love of a dog - well written and sweet and a pleasure to read - thanks for sharing Beautiful Beulie's story with us

Barbara said...

Thank you so much for reading it. Hoping that there might be others out there to share this with was a motivator in writing it and completing the project. Beulie is a great little doggy!