The big world out there

We took Beulie everywhere. To begin with, I'm a survivor of metastatic breast cancer and my treatment has involved over six years of regular infusions. I had already raised three puppies in the chemotherapy suite so when I brought in a new puppy that March the nurses were so excited they took a picture of us. We were both always welcome and Beulie was always well behaved. The nurses kept a box of dog biscuits in the kitchen so she was quite the pampered kid whenever we arrived. When this photo was taken I told the nurses we were "just fostering."


I took her to training classes where she learned to stay in a Down position whether she wanted to or not.


Here's Beulie in a basic Sit-Stay.



But one day when I took her to class something really wonderful happened. By coincidence another puppyraiser was taking care of Beulie's mother while her caretakers were on vacation. So here are the photos of Mitzi that I promised to show you ---

















-- and don't tell me that mom and daughter didn't know each other!



Later I started taking Beulie with me to my watercolor classes taught at a local senior center.


Beulie was so appealing to me that I really wanted to learn how to draw her. I wasn't very successful but doodling in church helped quiet my mind so I could listen.






By September I was taking an art class at a community college. Beulie was a willing life model.


She posed at home too but getting her to look towards me was sometimes problematic.


I took Beulie to restaurants when I visited with my friends. From her perspective it was the most boring activity I ever came up with.

1 comment:

Kara and Jen said...

Mitzi is beautiful; she looks almost white!! The other photos are great too; wish I could draw.

Kara & Jen